Rest Area 300m: "It is not greed"

Sunday, March 20, 2005

"It is not greed"

The first earthquake I remember was in primary school. It was a beauty. I remember the teacher suddenly going white and yelling "get under your desks". The old school rolled and groaned. Books fell and the lights swung wildly. Then just as suddenly it stopped and all was still. I was still sitting open mouthed in my seat. There was chalk dust in the air. "Bugger that", I thought, "I don't like earthquakes."
Of course over the next few days the teachers made the most of it and we learned heaps about earthquakes, tectonic plates, and fault lines. New Zealand is not known as the shaky isles for nothing. We were told what to do when the next one hit. Stand in a doorway, don't run into the street etc. I have developed my own strategy. I always eat my favourite thing on the dinner plate first.
At least then, when I am trapped under a pile of rubble, I can feel smug about having the sense to eat my steak before the potatoes. There is no point in hiding Easter Eggs around this house. The big one could hit any time.

Male. Lives in New Zealand/North Island/The Road, speaks English. Eye color is blue.
This is my blogchalk:
New Zealand, North Island, The Road, English, Male.

Who Links Here eXTReMe Tracker