Rest Area 300m: "The Duck Who Went To Heaven"

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

"The Duck Who Went To Heaven"


The Paradise Duck mates for life. They are native to NZ. It is actually a shelduck, and is a bit bigger than a mallard.
Rural burglars & hunters hate them because they are exceptional at guard duty, as good as geese. If one of the pair is injured the other will stay around, obviously distessed. If a duck hunter shoots one, he will always get the other.
All this raced through my head yesterday, as I drove around a corner to see a dead drake on the road, and a hundred metres ahead a terribly injured female. I thought of a little story about how the name came about. I pulled across the road and ran her over in a cloud of feathers, eyes closed.
Photo Link

Labels:

Male. Lives in New Zealand/North Island/The Road, speaks English. Eye color is blue.
This is my blogchalk:
New Zealand, North Island, The Road, English, Male.

Who Links Here eXTReMe Tracker